Friday 7 November 2008

A DJD PRODUCTION


Hey boys and girls.
Well, I decided to let you in on all my secrets of how a DJD MIX actually makes it to your Ipod! Well, I wish I could say that it’s simple, but it’s not as straight forward as everyone think it might be.
The very first thing is to collect the songs. I only like to use the very latest songs and remixes and when I mean latest, I mean that something that came out 6 month ago is TOO OLD!! So I need to get my hands on all the Fresh stuff before even radio stations and clubs start playing it. It’s a bit like getting up really early to go to the market to get the very best, however I will use older songs if they are REALLY GOOD! First I brows the internet and use hundreds of sites to see what the current top 10’s are in the world. Then I have to start listening to all of them, because they might be in the top 10, but they might not be up to the DJD standard. I listen to about 5 different remixes of each song and then I pick one and buy! That song would then go into a playlist that I call DJD LIBRARY. I go on like this until I have about 30 songs. This can take anything from 2 days to a week, depends on my luck. Then I start going through the library and listen very carefully to each song. Some songs might get deleted and some songs I decided to download different mixes of. Then it’s time to divide them up in two further groups, the DJD IN THE MIX and DJD EXTRA. The songs going in DJD IN THE MIX becomes the official playlist for the next mix and the songs in DJD EXSTRA are left there for the following mix. However, if songs in the DJD EXTRA don’t make it into the following mix, they will get deleted, because they simply get too outdated.
Then it’s time to MIX!! I mix live, so that means that from the beginning to the end of the mix is me mixing and there are NO EDDITING afterwards!! And unfortunately things don’t always work out on the first mix. A Lot of mistakes happen and then I have to start ALL OVER again, so you can just imagine how fed up I get of the first part of the mix, because I have to listen to it over and over. Once the mix is completed, it’s time for the name and the artwork. The name of a mix usually comes from either the main song of the mix or how I felt during a mix, like E.G THE WORLD OF DJD got it’s name from “THE WORLD IS MINE – DAVID GUETTA” and DECSTASY get’s it’s name from me feeling absolutely ecstatic while I was mixing the mix. The artwork obviously has to match the name. I go through 100’s of pictures and edit the colour and pictures to make it fit in with the rest of the DJD collection. When I do a mix, it will always be in WAV format, but that’s a very large file so while I work on the name and the artwork I have to convert the WAV file to MP3 to make it smaller (easier for download) and then I listen to the whole mix without any interruptions to hear for any flaws. Once I am happy with the whole lot, it’s time to load all the information onto the PODCAST. I load my mix, the name, the artwork, the playlist and tags so that it’s easy for people to find my mixes. Once it’s all loaded I look at the final product and if I am happy... IT’S TIME TO LAUNCH!!
And the final thing is to advertise like crazy (as you might have noticed on Facebook) that my new mix has been launched! And then... well, time to start ALL OVER AGAIN! And THAT is how a DJD MIX makes it to YOUR iPod! If you haven’t had the chance to listen to my mixes yet, then go and have a look at http://djd-podcast.podomatic.com

No comments: